"The Andreoli were herdsmen who settled in the 16th century on Mount Gargnano, in the hamlet of Santa Maria di Navazzo, which was the initial base for their many activities. They were cattle breeders at first, who then sold products from their dairy farm and, with the profits obtained, bought pastures and woods in the area
Originally, the Andreoli set up their own mountain estate (""malga"") at Campei di Cima, and here they built a small chapel in 1602 dedicated to Santa Maria della Neve. Every year on August 5, a feast is organized in honor of the Madonna and a mass is celebrated. The small village has recently been restored by the Gruppo Alpini di Salò, which is also in charge of managing it. Campei di Fondo is a reflection of the history of the entire valley.
Its owners used to own the whole valley, and their workers lived in this farmhouse all year round. This is the main feature of a ""malga"" estate, since a mountain cabin is normally used only during the summer.
Down in the valley, rye, potatoes and barley were cultivated, native fruit and chestnuts were harvested, cattle were raised from which to obtain milk, and goats were also raised in marginal areas. From the milk, it was possible to obtain butter and cheese, which was partly consumed and partly sold. Next to the main house there was the stable, and not far from it was an outbuilding used for processing milk, which we plan to turn into a museum. Since its purchase by the ERSAF - the Regional Agency for Agricultural and Forestry Services - in the '70s, the estate was virtually abandoned, except for occasional use by summer camps, while the pastures were exploited by the last of the Toscolano livestock breeders. The farmhouse was repeatedly subjected to modifications and expanded in the '80s. . ."